Water Service

The City of Sanger’s public utilities includes the following:

  • Garbage
  • Recycling
  • Sewer
  • Street Sweeping
  • Tax
  • Water

Requests for Service

Requests for service are processed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Finance Department located in the Administration Building (1700 7th Street). 

A signature is required for all requests to start or stop service and if you are renting/leasing a property, you must provide a copy of the rental/lease agreement at the time of your request. New owners and responsible parties on rental/lease agreements will be crossed checked in our system to verify outstanding account balances.

For more information please call 559-876-6300 option 1 or email water@ci.sanger.ca.us

Please note: Any request received afternoon will be processed the next business day.

Water Service Requirements

  1. Existing Owners
  2. New Owners
  3. Renters

Existing owners are required to submit:

  • Copy of any United States government issued identification (preferably: driver's license, identification card or passport)
  • Date and signature
  • Forwarding address (if rental property only)
  • Phone number
  • Short handwritten or typed letter requesting to start service (only if the request is sent by fax or via email)
  • Social Security Number

Please note: If supplemental information (i.e. Driver's License and Social Security Number) is on file, please make the notation on the request "Info on File." Any outstanding account balance(s) in your name will need to be paid before services are started.