- Fire Department
- Fire Explorer Program
Fire Explorer Program
The Sanger Fire Explorer Program is a young-adult division of the Boy Scouts of American. A young adult between the ages of 14 to 21 who, under the umbrella of the Boy Scouts of America, takes part in training to learn the job of a Firefighter in the City of Sanger. The purpose of the Explorer Program is to provide experiences to help young people mature and prepare them to be responsible and caring adults.
An Explorer Program consists of four specific goals:
- Engage in a program of activities centered on six experience areas:
- Social Interaction
- The Explorer shall have a chance to learn and grow in a supportive, caring and educational environment.
- Gain practical experience in a career, special interest or skill.
- Learn from positive role models, adults and peers alike, while learning leadership skills of their own.
What Explorers Do
An explorer is given training similar to an entry-level firefighter. All training is done in a safe environment under the supervision of an experienced fire officer. Depending on the level of training that he or she is able to achieve, an explorer can assist the firefighters in the fire station in the performance of daily duties. In addition, once qualified through training and experience, an explorer will be able to do ride-a long's with the firefighters on the fire engines as well as the ambulances on emergency calls.
What Explorers Will Learn
Explorers will gain a general working knowledge and basic training in the following:
- Automobile Extrication
- Fire Behavior
- Firefighter Safety
- First Aid
- First Responder Awareness
- Hazardous Materials Awareness
- Hose lays
- Department Rules and Regulations
- Hydrant Operations
- Radio Communication Procedure
- Ropes and Knots
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Tools and Apparatus Familiarization
- Wildland Firefighting Basic
- Age: Any person, male or female between the ages of 14 and 21, is eligible to participate in the City of Sanger Fire Department Explorer Program.
- Complete an application. Applications can be obtained at the Fire Department at 559-875-6568.
- Education: All Explorers must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average.
- No serious criminal record.
View the Explorer Brochure (PDF).